Sunday, March 2, 2014

Who are you making famous?


My devotional proposed a question, “In your life, what would it mean to be a ‘mere stagehand’ where the main character is Jesus?” God then immediately proposed a question to me, “Was HE the main character in my life?” As I sat and pondered the answer God dropped another thought into my spirit; a follow up to the aforementioned question… Was I doing everything to make Him famous, to put His name in lights, and to build Him up. OR was I the main the character & wanting Him to do everything within His power to make ME famous, to make MY name shine in lights, and to prop ME up?

These thoughts were like the Selah’s that are found in various Psalms…making me stop and listen to what God was trying to get me to receive. So much of me wanted to cry out Yes God, you are the main character of my life.  And to some point this is true, but I know He isn’t the main character in every area of my life.

I struggle with the desire to be wanted, liked, and adored…and there is nothing wrong with that. God has placed that desire in every one of us. But He doesn’t want us to search for those affirmations in material things or others but in Christ alone. He desires for us to be satisfied in Him…and we can make Him famous in that manner. John Piper has been noted for saying, “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.” We can’t glorify God when we find satisfaction in material things or other people…we will end up glorifying that person or thing.

So just as God proposed that question to me, I propose it to you: Who is the main character in your life. Is your mission to make God famous or to make yourself famous? Now I’m not saying that on your journey you wont be blessed be beyond measure, but that shouldn’t be your aim.  Everything we do should be for His glory.

So like me you may have to do some recasting. We may have to hand over the lead script, and step to the side and allow God to be applauded.

Who are you making famous?

No comments:

Post a Comment